In two days I leave for Sin City, and to be honest, I'm a little nervous. Although I want to go have a Tiltboy type experience, I'm experiencing a lot of trepidation. Here's why:
1. Variance has been kicking me in the junk the past couple days. Last weekend up, I was up. Way up. In the money in every SNG I played (probably 7 or 8 SNGs), and even finishing in 30th place in a 547 person freeroll on holdempoker.com on 1/13/06 (I cashed a little under $21.00). This week, I'm fighting just to keep my bankroll even. I was hoping to build it up enough to have a comfy bankroll when I go to Vegas. Well, unless I can go on a complete tear, it ain't gonna happen.
2. I have never, ever played casino poker before. The only live poker I've played are friendly home games with friends and a lot of beer. I've done amazingly well in these little home games, but I've never sat in front of a dealer, with 9 strangers trying to take my money before. It's a little daunting.
3. I suck at Limit Hold 'em. Terrible. Brutally terrible. I like NL because I can read players online by their bets. I can usually tell whether they're full of shit or not. In low-limit NL, it's hard to put anybody on anything. Granted, it's easier to chase flush and straight draws because of the limits, but I like to know what I'm dealing with.
4. Beer. I drink a lot of beer. A LOT. I can shake the Magic 8 Ball and see "It is decidedly so" appear to the question: "Will BP have to be taken to the emergency room with alcohol poisoning while in Las Vegas?". I think that this may affect my play at the tables most of all. But, we'll see. Online, it seems to be different. Have you ever seen the WKRP in Cincinnatti where a cop comes in to show Dr. Johnny Fever and Venus Flytrap how alcohol can impair your judgement? Well, the more drinks he gives them, the more wasted Venus gets, and the more coherent Johnny Fever gets. I play the Johnny Fever role when I play NL SNGs and drink beer.
So, how do I remedy the above? I've had a few thoughts:
1. Bring in the priest from "The Exorcist" and have him purge the demon that is Variance out of my body and soul. Or, be more aggressive with my hands. Either/Or.
2. Play in the fucking casino and stop being such a pussy about it...
3. Keep practicing micro-limit holdem. I've been playing 15 cent/30 cent limit games lately and have done so/so. I end up down at first and then usually crawl back to eke out a small profit of a buck or two. I'm also going to play the absolute lowest limit tables possible. I don't want to be the scared money at the table.
The Luxor has a $1/$2 game that I'll probably try to play and see how I do. I'm also going to buy into as many $25-$100 NL tourneys that I can, and there are a ton.
4. Try to only have 2 beers an hour. It's a start anyway.
Vegas, here I come...(yikes)