SponsoredTweets referral badge



Monday, June 12, 2006

Tossing and Turning

Last night, for the first time, the severity of all of the aspects of this move to Wisconsin hit me at one time.

At midnight.

I tried, without any luck, to talk myself into sleep by not thinking about the 843 additional steps we have to take to make this move complete. I tried thinking about poker, baseball, trips I want to take, and a myriad of minutae to force myself into drowsy sleep. It was like I was trying not to climax.

No luck.

I was up until about 3:30am this morning, tossing, turning, fretting, sweating. I went downstairs to smoke outside in my boxers twice. Nothing worked. I actually thought about having a couple of beers to simmer me down, but since I had to wake up in four hours for work, decided against it.

Does anyone else have nights like these? If so, how do you circumvent the panic? Because that's what I was having. A full-on-evil-robot-chubby-panic-attack. I felt like the scene in Annie Hall where Woody Allen was going berserk because he was due to go on live TV, minus the hyperventalating.

___________________________________________________

I looked at our zip code on a local realty site this afternoon, and discovered that in our zip code alone, there are 200 houses up for sale. I threw up in my mouth a little. Tilt. Tilt. Tilt. The good news is that most of the places are utter dumps. I mean shitholes. And small. Houses that were bought for $30K in the late 80's with crack and weed profits and were just destroyed by the owners. Now people are trying to sell them for $160K to $200K, without putting any work into them. I guess people really need their crack.

This past weekend was very good. The birthday festivities were great. I really missed the family, but my boys took me out and we had a great time on the karaoke scene. Bloody P is not only my Christian name, but also the name I use for karaoke. That night it was me and tall, skinny, gansta rappin' white guy by the name of 'Chicken Bone' that were competing to sing the most songs. I busted a killer version of "So Whatchya Want" by the Beasties and took a stab at Paul Revere. Usually, I sing Sinatra, but...yeah, I've got me some mad skillz, yo.

Friday night with Mr. Playboy Mansion himself was also a great time. Captain Cokes (in honor of Drizz), mellow crowd and, of course, laptops. The only bad thing about Friday was my friggin' laptop not glomming onto the WIFI signal at the bar, leaving me pokerless while Chad lost money on Titan. I seriously wanted to geek it up hard, and while he donked off his buy-in, I was left cursing Hewlitt Packard and drinking more Cap'ns. And then some more.

Perhaps he'll tell the evening's tale better than I can here. He's a funny, funny guy, and I think we hit it off well.

Saturday was recovery day (damn you, Chad!). Lots of sleeping, cleaning and playing poker.

Yesterday, I decided to play a little PLO on Titan, because I wanted to switch it up a bit. After donking away 1/2 a buy-in, I reloaded and tripled up in about 20 minutes, only to lose almost all of it 5 minutes later. See live-blogging post for more info.

Went back to a .02/.04, 6-max ring game on Titan and won most of it back, before retiring for the evening, and now we're back to the beginning of this post.

Last night, for the first time, the severity of all of the aspects of this move to Wisconsin hit me at one time.

Circle of LIIIIIIIIIIIIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holla.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My non-scientific poll shows that no one slept well last night. Something about the moon phase, extra electrons in the atmosphere, etc. The whole world was juiced up.

Hopefully that's all over. Moving is like giving birth, I think. You just KNOW it's going to hurt your junk really bad, and it does, but 2 years later, you don't mind so much.

And finally - played a little today at lunch and have now gotten ALL my nickels back. Hah. Those damned dirty apes!

Best,
Mr. P.

6/12/06, 3:39 PM  
Blogger Iakaris aka I.A.K. said...

Yep P, I agree, moving does suck, and those anxieties would keep anyone up...my turn next in 3 months...same kind of million houses for sale kind of neighbourhood, so I know exactly what you're talking about there! All we can do is what we can do...the rest just happens or figures itself out. Put another way, "a plan is just a list of things you never do". Recognize it?

6/12/06, 4:05 PM  
Blogger Heavy Critters said...

Thanks mightily, gents.

Parx, thanks for the 'chin-up'. Glad you got your nickels back today. I'll most likely be on Titan tonight (to take your nickels), so hit me up.

IAK, I wish you the best in your situation. It's a frenzy, that's for sure. Thanks for the encouragement. And, no, I don't recognize the line. And Google was no help. I give!

6/12/06, 4:10 PM  
Blogger C.L. Russo said...

When I'm stressing out about something, I try to ask myself "Is this something I can address right at that moment?" If the answer is no, I can usually relax enough to get to sleep.

I know, that's easy to say and hard to do, but once you practice it for a while, it really does help.

6/13/06, 7:14 AM  
Blogger CC said...

Stress vs. anxiety. When I'm in the midst of anxiety rather than stress, especially not sleeping, I head to either TiVo to watch poker or play low stakes. No need to keep trying to sleep. Also, I get away from the bed, head to the sofa. I'm there with you for sure.

6/13/06, 10:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I will try harder to be there for the next meet up. I hate missing blogger get togethers.

6/13/06, 2:50 PM  
Blogger Iakaris aka I.A.K. said...

It's from Year of the Gun (Benicio del Toro and company) - one of my favorite antihero films.

6/13/06, 4:12 PM  
Blogger Heavy Critters said...

Drizz,

I gotz me about a week and a half, so let's do it up quick! Also, I'm more than willing to commute to the Cities from 'Sconie to attend.

IAK,

Damn. Never seen it. Heard it was awesome. How can you go wrong with Benicio del Toro?????

Everyone,

Again, thanks for the encouragement. Although I hate to admit it, I drank myself into a stupor last night to assure more than 5 or 6 hours of sleep...it worked.

6/13/06, 7:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm attending the Saints game tonight, but I should be on the girly chat box later on possibly to play the "Mookie" tournament.

6/14/06, 1:25 PM  
Blogger alabare said...

The secret to sound sleep despite stress and anxiety? 3 tylenol pm's with an ambien chaser...works every time. Granted, I don't know where i am when I awake...but, at least I'm refreshed when I do.

Bet the Beastie renditions were worth the price of admission. Whenever I go out and karaoke, it's a toss up between Sir Mix A Lot, and Neil Diamond. I'm a very complex individual.

-Adam

6/14/06, 3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home