SponsoredTweets referral badge



Monday, March 06, 2006

Chariots of Fire In Reverse

First off, one of my childhood heroes passed away yesterday, and I've been in a funk all morning. Rest in Peace, Kirby Puckett.

On to less important things...like poker:

I can't win the races. I don't know what in the hell is happening, but lately when I get to heads up play in SnGs, I can't give the cameras the money shot they so badly want.

Example:

Tonight. Heads up. I not only hold the most chips, I hold AKo. I raise to 6x the BB. My opponent goes all in. (hell yeah) I call. He/she flips QTo.

VICTORY IS MIIIIIIIIINE!!!!!!!!!!

Except a pesky Queen hits the flop, and I don't improve. I send over 1/2 my chip stack to the lemurdonk and now he/she's in the the lead.

Three hands later, I find QQ and push. Monsieur/Mademoiselle flips A7o and knocks me out in second when he/she hits a river Ace.

IGHN and try not to beat the living hell out my couch.

WTF?

I know, I know, "that's poker".

But seriously. I've placed second in the last 4 SnGs that I've played in. I've read all of the strategy, consider myself a fairly intelligent individual, and even got Ryan from Absinthe's Troubles to take some time to give this lowly blogger a Cliff's Notes guide to playing short-stacked. I play aggressively. UBER aggressively.

And I can't stop finishing SECOND.

Sweet Jebus, help me.

If anyone has had any epiphanies regarding heads-up play, please, please, PLEASE, comment on this blog.

Bloody P wants to see that big 'ol Titan trophy pop up at the end of his tourney, not the bland little pop-up note stating:

"You have finished second in the tournament, Donkey-ass. We put some money into your account (like you deserve it...)" (ibid)

8 Comments:

Blogger Alan said...

I could say some crap, but I doubt it would be anything to anyone.

How do you approach heads-up? What strategies do you use? It would be easier to comment on that.

3/7/06, 9:33 AM  
Blogger Heavy Critters said...

I tend to approach heads-up play super aggressively, raising big with any big card (AKQ or low pocket pair, and checking any pre-flop call with junk and hoping to hit the flop in any way possible.

When I get a great heads up hand (like AK) and someone raises me, I'll put them all in and let the chips fall where they may (pun intended).

I basically believe that whatever the other person is holding is worse than what I have unless they show me different with their betting.

3/7/06, 9:58 AM  
Blogger Rick said...

Although my recent S&G play may not look like, I think I play a great short game (in fact in that example anytime I got to the short game, I won).

The thing I credit most for this is a weekly home game that is always short handed. We play a cheap (nickel and dime) home game every sunday at my place. There is usually only 3 or 4 of us and we have played as low as 2 (heads up) or as many as 7.

This has allowed for hours and hours of real short play and several of us strongly believe this made a huge difference in how we play short handed games online.

There is no quick and dirty one line answer to this - unfortunately - but the practice really helps. You have to figure out how the other guy plays, look at relative stack sizes and play appropriately.

Sorry for such sucky advice..

Rick (aka darval)

3/7/06, 10:54 AM  
Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

Fuck everyone! Rant away! Poker sucks! Everyone who plays it is a donkey! Screw those QT chasing bastards!

3/7/06, 10:59 AM  
Blogger Heavy Critters said...

LOLOLOL!!

3/7/06, 11:26 AM  
Blogger Alan said...

If your opponent figures out that you are playing super-aggressively he can just wait for what is probably a better set of hole cards before calling a jam. I've playing heads-up games where I've swapped the aggressor/trapper roles with my opponent several times. It is a lot like playing roshambo. You have to sort of guess when the other guy is changing gears and then change your gears to keep up.

3/8/06, 12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site Topamax side effects chat best buy place xenical http://www.personalized-stationery-7.info Cute teen swimwear xenical pret Cheapest xenical online01010101010101010101010101010101 info personal remember xenical acura ls 1990 left front axle legend Blow dryer and stand Lek na odchudzanie- meridia Foot crtamps lipitor de roche xenical Incorporation foreign lawyers xenical experince 16capsule xenical Pain relief sudafed sinus nighttime plus caplets http://www.lamictal-drug-information.info/lamictal-hepatitus-side-effects.html

3/5/07, 1:25 PM  
Blogger ksaalrawda said...


تعد خدمات الاول في المدينة المنورة من افضل الخدمات في مجال التنظيف ومكافحة الحشرات لانها تتميز بجودة المنظفات المستخدمة وامهر عماله تعمل على انهاء مهامها على اكمل وجه وبنظافه ترضى العميل بالاضافة الى خدمة مكافحة الحشرات ورش المبيدات المتميزة لدينا
تخزين اثاث بالرياض
شركة غسيل شقق بالمدينة المنورة
شركة تنظيف كنب بالمدينة المنورة
افضل شركات تنظيف فلل بالمدينة المنورة

احسن شركة نقل اثاث بالمدينة المنورة
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالمدينة المنورة
شركة مكافحة الحشرات بالمدينة المنورة
افضل شركة تنظيف خزانات بالمدينة المنورة
افضل شركة غسيل خزانات بالرياض
شركة تنظيف مكيفات بالرياض

7/24/16, 8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home