SponsoredTweets referral badge



Monday, March 06, 2006

Little Help?


Coming of another 10 Corona night after watching the Oscars (ZZZZZZZZ...) last night and playing some good, if uninspired, poker.

There was one hand in particular that has had me scratching the shit dome.

This may not be totally accurate (don't have the hand history availabe now), but you'll get the gist of it:

6 person SnG on Titan.

I'm in the BB with Kc2c. Two limpers, the small blinds completes and I check.

Flop: Kh 7c 6c

Nice flop for me.

UTG min bets, UTG +1 calls, SB calls, I min-raise to keep the action going. Calls all around.

Turn: 7h

UTG checks, UTG +1 checks, SB min bets, I call (with pot odds) hoping that if he has trip 7's, I'll hit either a club or a King on the river. UTG and UTG +1 both fold.

River: 3c

I have hit my flush, king high. Huzzah! Another pound for the king! I'm surprised by the SB firing out a bet that's about twice the pot. I think, then double it, and he re-raises all in. After carefull consideration, I decide that it's highly unlikely that he's got the AcXc (I would put that on UTG/UTG +1), and is trying to push me off the pot.

I call and and he flips K7o and IGHN to his KK777 full house.

How could I have played this better? All comments welcome. I make no bones about being a donkey/lemur at this stage in my game.

Is there anyway I could have seen this coming? His betting pattern after the turn didn't reek of strength.

My best guess is that he laid out a nice trap, hitting his boat, min-betting, and then praying for that club to hit on the river so I would donate the rest of my stack to him. If so, I bought it hook, line, and sinker.

Any thoughts?

8 Comments:

Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

Its hard with those 6 players because K2 could be good, but drawing to a flush on a paired board is usually bad unless you think your K2 is goot. Hard to say how to play this better.

3/6/06, 2:13 PM  
Blogger Heavy Critters said...

It was the min-bets that got me. I had the odds to call, and when I hit the flush, I think that I had to figure that I had the best hand.

I didn't think I had the best hand until the river because of the two sevens out there.

Thanks for the comment, and sorry I missed the B-Day tourney, yo. If I would have known it was moved to PokerStars about 15 minutes earlier than I discovered it, I would have played.

3/6/06, 2:19 PM  
Blogger Alan said...

I probably would have played that the exact same way. That being said, I've been having trouble laying down hands lately and have been losing a lot. Hindsight is 20/20 but this is how I would like to play the hand.

Anytime there is a pair on board you have to be wary of the boat. Your min raise on the flop might have told him that you were on a flush draw. It looked like a pot building move. It certainly didn't buy you any information.

What if you raise half the pot here? I'd expect a call only with a pair of Kings or better, in which case you know you are currently behind. If you take the pot now, then great.

On the other hand, I don't know if that extra information would help you get out of the hand. You currently have a marginal hand and I don't think calling is a bad idea. I don't see much purpose for the raise you made. Up to the river I don't think there is much you could have done differently.

The opponent's turn min bet was weak. I see fish bet like that all of the time. However the 2xPot bet on the river should have made you suspicous. If this guy knows how to bet large, why did he min bet on the turn?

What hands might that river bet indicate?
1. Trips: the time to bet heavy on trips is before the flush is possible - not after. I think trips are unlikely.
2. Flush: This is probable and you probably have the higher flush.
3. Boat: This seems unlikely, but you have to consider it as a possibility. Allowing the flush to be made with a boat is a good strategy. The story fits.
3. Bluff: I don't see a story here. Do you think he is really bad at bluffing?

So you are probably beating a baby flush, but there is a chance he has the higher flush or boat. Do you think he will fold a baby flush against a reraise? If so then you don't gain anything by betting.

I think a call is prudent. Relative to possible opposing hands, and what he is representing, you have a medium strength hand.

But playing this way requires you to respect your opponent. It can be difficult to maintain respect when they do things like call pot bets with bottom pair and a 2 kicker. I can't say anything more since I wasn't at the table. That might have been the right move against a poor player who overvalues hands.

3/6/06, 3:55 PM  
Blogger Heavy Critters said...

Wow. Thanks for taking the time for the analysis, Alan. I figured him on trips or the baby flush.

To be honest, the boat never crossed my mind (yes, I'm a lemur).

This is my one REALLY big problem: not thinking enough about my opponents hands.

I hit the near-nut flush, ejaculate, and go all in, not even thinking that there could be another hand that could beat me.

HEE HAW

3/6/06, 8:52 PM  
Blogger Alan said...

I can't tell you how many pairs of pants I've had to wash in the exact same situation.

But it's just one of those things you have to consider:
- a pair on board makes the boat possible.
- two pair on board makes the boat likely.
- three suites on board makes the flush possible.
- Three high connectors means someone has made the straight.

3/6/06, 10:13 PM  
Blogger Heavy Critters said...

true dat.

Thanks, man.

3/6/06, 10:18 PM  
Blogger surflexus said...

I would have just called on the end. The only way it makes sense for him to call your shove is if he has you...surf

3/7/06, 12:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info botox in the romford area http://www.buy-celexa-1.info http://www.terri-alexander-dance.info/Ophelias-bingo-world.html leather case for blackberry 7750 Weight training diamond bar ca zoloft and night sweat and bad dreams Chlorine and eczema Diazepam valium side effects for pets When to buy a laptop oriental trading company coupns leisure suit larry magna cum laude model the blackberry blackberry device boating ed blue collar dress shirt white Emory health care paxil Military to general aviation headset adapter

2/23/07, 1:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home