SponsoredTweets referral badge



Monday, May 22, 2006

Relax......stupid

There is nothing like having two beautiful children scream "Daaaaaddddyyyyy!!!" and run into your arms, like they've been in the desert for weeks and you're a glass of water. It's amazing how much you can miss something, anything when it's removed from your life suddenly. I knew I missed my wife and kids, but shit, I didn't think it'd be so, so much. It was like I came alive again. I had been walking around like a poker zombie the prior 11 days, but walking into my mother-in-law's house and seeing my wife and watching my kids go nuts when they saw me reversed the zombie effect immediately.

It was a great weekend. Even the drive there was magnificnet. Do you know how beautiful Wisconsin is in the spring and summer? It's no wonder so many Germans settled in central Wisconsin. Lush, rolling hills, pungent farms, ancient buildings and good beer. Really good beer. It must have reminded them of the mother land. My grandparents on my father's side (German/Irish) settled there, raised two generations there, and now I'm heading back to continue their work.

And I'm excited.

This weekend was spent in front of backyard fires, with cold Leinenkugels, Brewers baseball on the TV in the background, and my children running around the yard laughing, playing, collecting pinecones and stealing hugs and kisses from their daddy.

Uber relaxing.

Living in the city, there never seems to be any real relaxation. If you want to relax, truly relax, you go to northern Minnesota or Wisconsin or anywhere to get away from the city. You don't relax here. You run here. Constantly. Work, daycare, dinner, projects, traffic. Work, daycare, dinner, projects, traffic.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

You have to go elsewhere to relax. You have to drive or fly hours from your home to enjoy the finer, simpler things in life. Doesn't that seem a bit ridiculous? It does to me. I'm excited to relax. To find a job that I like or can at least tolerate (without the fate of the company riding on my shoulders), and then come home and enjoy my kids, my wife, my life. I don't get to do that a whole lot right now here in Minneapolis. Well, now that the family is in Wisconsin full time, I guess I only get to do it every other weekend.

And it sucks.

I'm not saying that this move is going to be some kind of traveling show-charlatan-cure-all-elixer, but damn, it's a good start.

5 Comments:

Blogger drewspop said...

Remember that once you successfully make the full move Bloody. The kids really do make it all worth the struggle when they greet you like that.

Once you are settled in and they are pissing you off while your listening to the bugs getting fried and drinking a few suds, remember it then. I know you will.

5/23/06, 9:23 AM  
Blogger TripJax said...

I'm amazed that my son, the only 1 of the two old enough to do the "Daaaaddddddddyyyyyy" yelp, still does it every single day when I come home. I have a feeling I will shed a tear the day he is old enough to know it is "uncool." For now, I bask in it daily.

5/23/06, 3:52 PM  
Blogger Jordan said...

So, no plans to move to NYC?

5/23/06, 4:35 PM  
Blogger Heavy Critters said...

Jordan, you're crazy. NYC would cause immediate crapping of the pants.

Trip, my kids used to do that when I'd pick them up from daycare. Everytime.

God, I miss that.

5/23/06, 5:01 PM  
Blogger The Poker Enthusiast said...

Great to hear that you have been recharged by your children. I get the same thing from my kids all the time. My son is really happy that dad gets to be home from work for a while. He's wants me to take the summer off.

5/24/06, 12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home