SponsoredTweets referral badge



Sunday, February 18, 2007

Life Tilt

Ever think that you would be famous as a:

A) Writer

B) Rock Star

C) Poker Player

D) Political Mind

E) Anything besides what you're doing for a living right now?

(F) Any of the above




I know I would answer (F).

Being a laundry salesman isn't what they show you on TV and in the movies. It's weird, frustrating work, mostly because no one really wants to talk to you. Ever.

Ever tried to sell something that's a (not really even) necessary evil? That's where I am right now.

I've been thinking a lot about where I thought my station in life would be when I was 18.

This ain't it.

It's not a bad job, really. It pays fairly well, I have a decent boss, I enjoy the people I work with, etc. I just can't believe that I'm doing this for a fucking living. Not even the laundry part...I mean SALES.

What happened to that 18 year kid who was in a band, getting the girls, and working on the GREAT AMERICAN NOVEL, even though he had barely seen or experienced anything in this strange, wonderful world we live in? Where did those hopes and dreams and ambitions abscond to?

I'm starting to search for some of it.

I'm picking up the guitar again. I have a double secret blog on which I'm writing my G.A.N. that I started years ago, I'm trying to recapture some of that optimism that I had earlier in life before jobs, kids, and "responsibility" took over.

I'm 34 years old. Does anyone else feel this way? That they sort of woke up Rip Van Winkle style and realized that all they've done for the last 15 years is drink excessively and put off what they really wanted to do because life got in the way?

I'm not saying that I don't love my wife and my kids and my life.

I do.

But what happened to that kid with his whole life in front of him, waiting to become the next Jack Kerouac or Lou Reed?

If you see him, shoot me an email.

8 Comments:

Blogger TripJax said...

What exactly does a laundry salesman do?

And yes, life tilt is all over the place. I didn't think I would be doing what I'm doing, but I'm pretty happy...

2/18/07, 9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wrote about the same thing this past week.

Mid-life crisis early I guess.

2/18/07, 9:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Trip, I'm in the uniform and facility rental business (aka what Cintas, Aramark, GK Services, et al do). Glad you're happy with where you're at. I need to get there.

Mook, thanks for dropping by. I must've missed that post. Gonna go back and take a peek. Mid-life crisis indeed.

Wanna start a band??

2/18/07, 10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to boast, but I'm doing what I always saw myself doing since I was about 16. It's just not as much fun as I thought it would be.

P, I had the most maturing 30 seconds of my previously young life yesterday. Go read about it.

Then go start that punk band and stomp on things.

Best,
Mr. Parx

2/19/07, 3:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, PS - the .05-.10 NL CAP games on FT are REALLY fishy.

--parx

2/19/07, 3:43 PM  
Blogger Jordan said...

I feel your pain. Try to focus on what you have instead of what you don't have. Then, try to figure out what it is that you want and spend all of your energy getting it.

2/20/07, 11:44 AM  
Blogger Karol said...

I thought maybe (D) but now I just don't care. I think that's the problem more than anything else...it's not that we can't be these things, it's just the motivation isn't there.

2/23/07, 1:41 PM  
Blogger Wwonka said...

Man I was just thinking this exact same thing.

But If anything I have learned to enjoy the moment since you never know what tommorrow will bring.

Life is too short.

Peace

2/26/07, 8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home