SponsoredTweets referral badge



Friday, November 17, 2006

Banning Online Poker is a Good Thing

That's right, beetches. I said it.

OK, OK, I don't really mean it, I'm just sick of the Leather Goddess of Phobos that is Mistress Variance kicking my baby jebus loving ass every night.

Let's put it this way: In the past 6 weeks, I've played quite a bit of live poker. And I've been running the tables. I've had made a significant profit every time I've played. I've been killing, Jerry! Killing! (Ovaltine? Why is it called Ovaltine? It should be called Roundtine!)

The good news: I'm up about $200 in live poker play in the past 6 weeks.

The bad news: I'm down about $75 in online poker play in the past six weeks.

Yes, I'm up overall. But, WTF??? Maybe it's because I'm playing such low stakes that people are more willing to stay in to chase draws. Maybe it's just that I get so easily distracted while playing online. I dunno.

This isn't a bitch post, it's a question. How can I run so hot in one aspect of the poker realm, and so cold in another?

It's frustrating because I play live poker so much more infrequently than I do online. Maybe that's it. Variance hits me more (and harder) because I play SO much more online.

____________________________________

This past Tuesday, I played at a buddy's house, and after being short-stacked for awhile, made a nice run and ended up taking down the tourney (8 handed).

I'd had a few beers before I got to the game, and a few more while playing. While I was short stacked, I opened up the fridge to grab another beer and a Diet Pepsi came tumbling out. I didn't touch the damn thing. Someone at the table said condescendingly, "I think someone may need to call a cab later."

I was buzzed, but certainly not drunk. The comment pissed me off. I began to run the table. The cards started hitting, my bluffs started working, and my reads became spot-on.

Once I won the damn thing, I turned to the table and said, "I think you fellas may need cab fare after that."

Damn it felt good to be a gangstah.

3 Comments:

Blogger slb159 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11/18/06, 7:14 AM  
Blogger slb159 said...

You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned being too easily distracted when playing online.

I rarely continue to chat with people once a tourney opens or I open up a cash table. I often stop hearing music and wonder what the hell happened to it. Fact is, I was too busy concentrating to even remember any of the songs that played.

That, and the lower stakes. You are correct in your assumption that people are willing to chase draws at lower stakes 'cause, "It's just 10$." Or something to that effect.

Hope things turn around for you at the virtual tables. Good work in the live game.

Next time someone suggests you call a cab to get home, wait 'til you're in a pot with them and when they bet, raise them and throw you're bottle of beer at them (aiming for their head, naturally), and say, "call that, bitch and I'll call a cab." That should work.

11/18/06, 7:16 AM  
Blogger Jordan said...

I have a similar situation. For the YEAR, the vast majority of my profit came from live play. I mean 9 to 1 here, without going into numbers. I just don't do as well online. It's definitely partly distractions, but not in the way we normally think. I bet that it is that live, there is more information to keep us immersed in the game, including table chat and general socializing. It keeps you in tune with the table, even if its not intentional. Online, its just silent pixels.

GL.

11/21/06, 9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home