SponsoredTweets referral badge



Saturday, September 01, 2007

I Am A Freakin' Genius (You've Probably Thought of This Before)



You ever think that you pretty much know all of the "technical" stuff about poker from reading, reading, reading, and get a little bored with it?

I know I do.

Since I can't get onto my only online poker source (bodog) lately, I've been playing a lot of sweet, sweet home game action. And I've been cleaning up.

I had a guy ask me a couple of weeks ago, "How many times have you won this game??"

"A couple of times?", I shrugged.

"A TON of times," was his reply.

And it's true. These little Wisconsin games are no match for my Harrington, Gordon, Waffles fueled mind.

Even though it's NL, I still play ABC NL poker. And I win. And win.

And it's boring as hell.

A couple of weeks ago I decided to switch it up. Not a little bit. A LOT. Like Lindsay Lohan switching up her dating rotation and deciding to go out with SLB.

Yeah, that drastic.

97s?? RAISE.

Ducks? RAISE.

45o from late position? RAISE.

It was fun. It was different.

I did pretty well.

Chasing out the limpers with anything is fun, because with the range of hands I was raising with (3-4 X the BB), I may have been beat pre-flop by a wide margin.

It was $20 for the tourney buy-in. Who fucking cares? I wanted to at least see the extent I could push the table around.

They might as well have been lemmings. A pat on the back and they were over the cliff.

I hit the flop here, missed it there, but being aggressive for aggressive's sake was something I'd never really tried before. And yes, post flop I kept the aggression up, even if I felt like I was behind.

And it was a fucking blast.

Oh, and why hasn't anyone ever turned me on to Vonnegut before??? I just finished Breakfast of Champions, and don't know if I'll be the same.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I love Vonnegut. He seemed a bit off towards the end, making the kind of all-encompassing political statements he would have ridiculed 20 years ago. A friend of mine couldn't see the appeal, and asked me to explain. I said, "He tells such complex and imaginative stories, using the simplest of sentences." I still think that sums up what -I- like best about him. Enjoy. "Slapstick" is also out of this world.

Best,
Mr. Parx

9/2/07, 9:50 PM  
Blogger Heavy Critters said...

I will check out Slapstick next. Thanks for the tip.

When are we going to swap pennies and check raise some tourists?

9/3/07, 12:43 PM  
Blogger Jordan said...

Over aggression can be a lot of fun. I'm sure it helped that they are used to you playing ABC poker. If you played aggro all the time, they'd eventually adjust.

And Vonnegut is the shiyit. Everything and anything from his catalogue is worth reading.

9/4/07, 9:44 AM  
Blogger Parx said...

The Mrs. just started band practice, and I'm off the darts league. I'm ready right now.

-Parx

9/4/07, 6:25 PM  
Blogger Parx said...

Oh, but pennies is all I gots left. I'm down to about 6 bucks on 'Stars.

-p

9/4/07, 6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home