SponsoredTweets referral badge



Tuesday, September 18, 2007

A Cooler and A Guilty Pleasure

Let's get the poker stuff out of the way right now.

I was playing a $25.00 6-handed table on bodog two nights ago and was nut peddling to turn my $30+ into around $50 for the evening so I could do a little sports wagering. And by nut peddling, I mean I was playing so tight, my balls were in my body cavity.

After an hour or so, I've turned $25 into $35 mostly by hitting flops hard from the BB or seeing them cheaply and hitting from the SB. I'm feeling pretty good about my play at this point.

I'm dealt KK in middle position. It's folded around to me. I pop it 4X the BB, and see it fold around to the BB, who re-pops me. This guy had been playing a ton of hands very loosely, and although at these modest levels, I can't really see him protecting his twenty-five cent blind, I know that he's willing to play almost any two.

I push. He has me covered.

He calls.

The flip? My KK vs. JJ.

The flop is 9-7-2 rainbow. Sa-weeet!

Turn is a blank, and I'm about to do the pee-pee dance because I'm so excited, when...

of course...

a Jack spikes on the river and sends me on full-on-evil-robot-chubby-mega-tilt.

I'm out my buy-in plus $10 on a total river rat cooler and my dreams of making millions on football wagering are down the drain.

Oh, and I'm almost broke on bodog now.

I owe all three of you who still read this blog $1.00.

____________________________

And now for something completely different.

____________________________

I picked up an 80g iPod from a sales contest a work last month, and I have but two words for it:

Holy mother of god shit.

It's amazing. It's black and beautiful (same way I like my men as well, btw).

Here's the guilty pleasure part.

Joe Speaker has been posting about Kings of Leon, and he offered a challenge. He said that if anyone truly hated the new KoL album, he would pro bono a buy-in to the Mookie. I really didn't care about the buy-in, but was interested in listening to KoL because I'd heard such great stuff about them critically.

I hated it. Absolutely, truly, scratch my scrotum from its sack hated it. Sorry Joe.

On the flip side of the token, I've been playing out Panic! At the Disco's "A Fever You Can't Sweat Out".

I love it. Love it, love it, love it. It's been critically reviled for the most part, and moderately successful commercially (for the genre).

I just can't put a finger on why I love it so much, but I've listened to it at least once a day for the past three weeks.

Keep in mind, I'm not a emo-fuck. I generally have a distate for the whole emo-punk-pop thing (Yellow Card, Fall Out Boy, Good Charlotte, etc).

In fact here's a fairly good representative of what I listen to (check the playlists in blue on the far left):



















There's a ton more on there (I do have 80 gigs, after all).


So my question is: What's your musical guilty pleasure?


I'm not talking Barry Manilow, Neil Diamond, Warrant or anything like that. I'm talking current music. Within the last two or three years.

It's a bit of a ramble, but it's a blog entry, right?

2 Comments:

Blogger TripJax said...

I haven't purchased the KOL album(s) yet, but I did grab a coule of songs off of a *cough* p2p and they were pretty good. But what I did notice is the jams Speaker put on his blog really did jam out. In other words, they seem like they would be kick ass to hear live and their live performances do well on video, so they've got that going for them.

I will definitely have to get the full album though and give it a chance.

I wrote a post not long ago called Top 25 that sort of went through what I'm listening to these days. Check it out.

As for guilty pleasures, I also don't like what "the kids" are listening to these days, but a couple of those Fall Out Boy songs are pretty damn catchy. I have to admit I do have a couple of their songs on my iPod. There, I said it.

I feel better now...

9/19/07, 8:10 AM  
Blogger PearlSnapMan said...

Nice to see the Jayhawks on your itunes!

As far as guilty pleasures, I have to admit that Shawn Kingston song, "Beautiful Girls" is a song I really enjoy. It's a stupid song but it's catchy as hell.

9/21/07, 11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home